Mount Pleasant Police
Questions and Answers

Q.  Can I report suspicious activity or crimes anonymously?
A.  Yes, you do not have to give your name when you call 911 or 769-1941. You should always call 911 to report crimes in progress or for any other police, fire or EMS emergency
Q.  How do I get a copy of a police or accident report?
A.  The Records Bureau is opened from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, and is located at the Mount Pleasant Police Department, 1 Town Hall Plaza, Valhalla, NY, 10595. There is no fee charged for reports.
Q..  Where do I go to pay my parking ticket or traffic citation?
A.   Parking and traffic tickets can be paid by mail or in person to the Justice Court, Town of Mount Pleasant, 1 Town Hall Plaza, Valhalla, NY, 10595.  You can also call the Justice Court for further questions at 914-742-2325.  Please, do not send fines to the police department.
Q.  Why did it take so long for the police to come when I called them?
A.   All requests for police services are assigned a priority based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for personal injury or damage to property. At times, calls of less urgent nature must be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.
Q.   Can the police open my car if I locked my keys inside?
A.   Because of the potential for damage to vehicles the police department does not open locked vehicles. A locksmith or tow company is your best alternative. If a child is locked inside the vehicle the police will respond immediately and attempt to open the door.
Q.   Why do they ask so many questions when I call the police?
A.   Police dispatchers are trained to get as much information as possible to best determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the dispatcher will send police units and then continue to ask for further information.
Q.  Why do the police ask for my date of birth?
A.  There are many people with the same name.  This is the best way for the police to make reports and maintain its accuracy.
Q.  Can I make a police report over the telephone or does a police officer have to come to my house?
A.  Some reports can be taken over the telephone. The police dispatcher can determine if your report can be handled over the telephone or if it is necessary to have a police officer respond.
Q.  Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?
A.  The police department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity.  The dispatcher who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature and ask for descriptions of the people involved. You do not have to give your name or address if you desire.
Q.  I dialed 911 to get some information and the receiving dispatcher told me to call another number, why?
A.  The 911 number is only to be used for police, fire or medical emergencies.